Monday, March 22, 2010

Stage Nine: Smooth Sailing

Hello Everyone,

Well, I may be taking the pace a little more slowly these days. I check messages in both POF and OKCupid. I have to say that I have become a little addicted to the emails, even if they are from strangers. I have found that I receive many more messages on POF than OkCupid. I am not sure if this is because POF has been around longer or because it is bigger. I had not even heard of OKCupid until a couple of weeks ago.

I met up with the man in aviation on Thursday night. It was the end of a long, hard week at college so I was exhausted by that time. But I knew that I needed to follow through. I came home, had a shower, ate some food and regrouped. Then off into the dating world I went again with a fresh sense of optimism.

We met at a cute little bar downtown that is both cosmopolitan and laid back. I had reserved a booth just in case it was a little busy. When I walked up to the door the mystery man was waiting outside for me. We said our hellos and wandered in. It was not very busy at all which was a relief. We sat down and ordered some drinks. He was polite and personable. And was also a good dresser: nice dark sweater, jeans, vest. I was immediately at ease. I am not sure if this was due to my new attitude moving forward, or simply because he was a very affable guy. Perhaps it was a bit of both.

We took our time and got to know each other. As far as venues go I think that this was the best one. A secluded place that puts you at ease, with a few cocktails thrown in, is the best for getting acquainted. He said that he was enjoying himself and kept asking me if I was okay to stay. I said yes. Since I had Friday off this was, in fact, the start of my weekend! The conversation flowed and we shared some laughs. Overall it was an enjoyable evening, if a bit on the mellow side. He walked me home and asked if he could call me again. I have to say that I wasn't overwhelmed by him, but I did agree to a second date. Since first dates are always a bit awkward, a second one might allow for a little bit more insight into someones personality. We shall see.

But another POF date has popped up on the horizon. This one is a sports doctor. We had emailed back and forth about a month ago and then he seemed to disappear. Now he is back and says that he wants to meet. Last night he phoned me and we spoke for over an hour. The conversation was fun and light. But I have a feeling that he might live in circles of people that I may not be accustomed to: particularly the flashy jet-setting crowd. But with my new-found courage and devil-may-care attitude I have agreed to meet him this coming week. This, my friends, is a learning experience. TTFN.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your courage in this dating world. I won't lie I tried Plenty of Fish but was on it for only 2 weeks, now I am thinking I gave up to quickly, lol. One date was enough to put me off dating for a year. However maybe I need to be more open and accepting. Perhaps your right and that first dates are awkward, I know I always like a second chance so maybe I should embrace that mind frame and give others the same respect.

    ReplyDelete